Online Tools for Developing, Maintaining, and Editing Tab-Indented Lists
If you want to develop you own Keyword Lists, or edit existing ones, it makes sense to use some form of automation to help you in this task. When editing by hand, it is all to easy to add typos, and the programs that use tab-indented lists such as Aperture, BreezeBrowser, Bridge, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic, etc. are all rather un-forgiving when it comes to list errors. If you are lucky, the program will give you some clue as to where the error lies, but usually you will receive a less-than-helpful "Only text files encoded with ASCII or unicode UTF-8 are supported when importing keywords" message.
Hey - I'm a photographer. I've heard of ASCII but I'm not sure what it means. Not got a clue about 'unicode UTF-8'. What do I do next?
Don't worry. This website tries to help in its 'Under The Hood' section, with its Tab-Indented List Tutorial and useful articles on Tab-Indented List Format, How to Edit a Tab-Indented List, and How to Spot Non-ASCII Characters.
We also provide a range of online tools specifically designed for creating, editing, error-location, and error-correction in tab-indented keyword lists. There is no charge to use them, but if they helped you do your job quicker or more accurately, I'd appreciate a mention in your Blog and any online groups.
- Tab-Indented List Sorting Tool - Starts with a two-stage error-check to locate the following common tab-indented list errors:
- Illegal characters ,;<>|?
- Missing or extra Square or Curly Brackets
- Excess TAB characters
- Blank Lines
- Trailing TAB characters
- Duplicate Lines
- Non-ASCII characters
- Tab-Indented List Comparison Tool - Compares two different TAB-delimited lists of keywords. Starts by performing the same error-checks as above, then shows any differences between the lists in the four 'List Difference' windows.
- Tab-Indented List Merge Tool - Merges two TAB-delimited lists of keywords. It performing the same error-checks as above, calculates any differences between the lists, then merges them, and sorts the result.
- Tab-Indented List Visualization Tool - Lets you see what your list will look like when it is loaded into your image processing software. Very useful for spotting faulty indents. It error-checks the list as above, then displays it in a clickable Tree-Menu, just like Lightroom and others.
- Tab-Delimited List Keyword Linking Tool - Did you start your keywording 'on the fly', then move to a hierarchical list later? Is your keyword list a bit of a mess and needs cleaning up but you don't know where to start? This online tool helps fix the mismatches and suggests new keywords you might have missed.
- Flatfile to Tab-Delimited List Conversion Tool - Many hierarchical lists of keywords are stored in the flatfile format, rather than tab-indented. This is usually because the author hasn't figured out how to convert it! This online tool converts a flat-file list into a tab-indented list. It will also split up large lists by indenting them within A-Z categories.
- Tab-Indented Sorting Tool Help Page - Need more Help? The Online Tab-Indented List Tools have their own Help Page.